This blog sometimes gets hits from weird places (the record being a tie between people looking for a speech bubble graphic, and when it got linked on the No Mutants Allowed Fallout fansite front page). It always surprises me when people find it when looking for vintage camera stuff, seeing as I can’t even find it when I input the exact search terms they have used in the first 10 pages.
A nice chap called Mike (who has a lot more perserverance than I do for browsing search hits) found the post I made about getting a Kodak Box Brownie and has kept me updated on his own Box Brownie adventures in the comments here.
He’s linked to his really great walkthrough of his efforts in reconditioning a Kodak Box Brownie Six-20 “Junior”, which is pretty much the same as mine. His results are very impressive, particularly the replacement mirrors for the viewfinder – it inspired me to put mine to use and get some rolls put through it.
Unfortunately, while shaving a mm or so off the edges of the 120 spools allows it to fit (reasonably snugly!), the winding key is designed for 620 film and is a little too small for the plastic 120 winder slot. After the first exposure, winding the film on resulted in the metal key slipping and carving out the lip of the plastic hole so now it just spins. I think if there was perhaps a little less friction to overcome with the tight-fitting spool I’d be ok, but as it is the 620 winding key isn’t up to the job.
I’ve been thinking about a solution to this problem (apparently a reasonably common one encountered by people who want to use 120 in 620 cameras), it seems I have the following options:
1) Respool 120 on the 620 spools I have, then back when it’s exposed.
2) Augment the winding key so it can properly engage with the spool.
3) Alter the spool keyhole so the smaller winder will be a tighter fit.
Option 1 is sure to work but is a fair bit of hassle, I don’t have a changing bag or anything like that. I’m sceptical about Option 2 as I doubt the contact adhesives I’d have to use possess the shear-strength to not break off in the winder hole. Option 3 is the best I think, although I’ve tried padding out the hole with paper and card with no luck.
Now, I came across this page on the awesome Junk Store Camera’s site which describes some simple drilled washers to solve the problem. I reckon this should do the trick! I’m going to try and pick some up this coming weekend, drill them out and use Epoxy to bond it to a fresh roll of 120.
Fingers crossed that this will work, if not at least I’ve got the Matchbox Pinhole project to keep me ticking over…